• Tain Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Thin tin plate; also, tin foil for mirrors.
• Taint Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Aphetic form of Attaint.
- (v. i.) To thrust ineffectually with a lance.
- (n.) An injury done to a lance in an encounter, without its being broken; also, a breaking of a lance in an encounter in a dishonorable or unscientific manner.
- (v. t.) To hit or touch lightly, in tilting.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To stain; to sully; to tarnish.
- (n.) Infection; corruption; deprivation.
- (v. i.) To be infected or corrupted; to be touched with something corrupting.
- (n.) Tincture; hue; color; tinge.
- (v. t.) To imbue or impregnate with something extraneous, especially with something odious, noxious, or poisonous; hence, to corrupt; to infect; to poison; as, putrid substance taint the air.
- (n.) A blemish on reputation; stain; spot; disgrace.
- (v. t.) To injure, as a lance, without breaking it; also, to break, as a lance, but usually in an unknightly or unscientific manner.
- (n.) A thrust with a lance, which fails of its intended effect.
- (v. i.) To be affected with incipient putrefaction; as, meat soon taints in warm weather.
• Tainting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Taint