• Taped Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Tape
• Tap Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A plug or spile for stopping a hole pierced in a cask, or the like; a faucet.
- (n.) A place where liquor is drawn for drinking; a taproom; a bar.
- (n.) A gentle or slight blow; a light rap; a pat.
- (v. t.) To form an internal screw in (anything) by means of a tool called a tap; as, to tap a nut.
- (v. t.) To pierce so as to let out, or draw off, a fluid; as, to tap a cask, a tree, a tumor, etc.
- (v. t.) To strike with a slight or gentle blow; to touch gently; to rap lightly; to pat; as, to tap one with the hand or a cane.
- (v. t.) Hence, to draw from (anything) in any analogous way; as, to tap telegraph wires for the purpose of intercepting information; to tap the treasury.
- (n.) A signal, by drum or trumpet, for extinguishing all lights in soldiers quarters and retiring to bed, -- usually given about a quarter of an hour after tattoo.
- (v. t.) To draw, or cause to flow, by piercing.
- (n.) A tool for forming an internal screw, as in a nut, consisting of a hardened steel male screw grooved longitudinally so as to have cutting edges.
- (n.) A piece of leather fastened upon the bottom of a boot or shoe in repairing or renewing the sole or heel.
- (v. t.) To put a new sole or heel on; as, to tap shoes.
- (n.) A hole or pipe through which liquor is drawn.
- (n.) Liquor drawn through a tap; hence, a certain kind or quality of liquor; as, a liquor of the same tap.
- (v. i.) To strike a gentle blow.
• Tape Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To furnish with tape; to fasten, tie, bind, or the like, with tape;
- (v. t.) to cover (a wire) with insulating tape.
- (v. t.) to record on audio tape or video tape; -- either directly, at the scene of the action tape, or indirectly, as from a broadcast of the action.
- (n.) A narrow fillet or band of cotton or linen; a narrow woven fabric used for strings and the like; as, curtains tied with tape.
- (n.) A tapeline; also, a metallic ribbon so marked as to serve as a tapeline; as, a steel tape.