• Tease Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To comb or card, as wool or flax.
- (v. t.) To tear or separate into minute shreds, as with needles or similar instruments.
- (n.) One who teases or plagues.
- (v. t.) To stratch, as cloth, for the purpose of raising a nap; teasel.
- (v. t.) To vex with importunity or impertinence; to harass, annoy, disturb, or irritate by petty requests, or by jests and raillery; to plague.
• Teasel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A plant of the genus Dipsacus, of which one species (D. fullonum) bears a large flower head covered with stiff, prickly, hooked bracts. This flower head, when dried, is used for raising a nap on woolen cloth.
- (v. t.) To subject, as woolen cloth, to the action of teasels, or any substitute for them which has an effect to raise a nap.
- (n.) A bur of this plant.
- (n.) Any contrivance intended as a substitute for teasels in dressing cloth.
• Teaseler Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who uses teasels for raising a nap on cloth.