• Tempest Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An extensive current of wind, rushing with great velocity and violence, and commonly attended with rain, hail, or snow; a furious storm.
- (n.) Fig.: Any violent tumult or commotion; as, a political tempest; a tempest of war, or of the passions.
- (v. t.) To disturb as by a tempest.
- (n.) A fashionable assembly; a drum. See the Note under Drum, n., 4.
- (v. i.) To storm.
• Tempestuous Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a tempest; involving or resembling a tempest; turbulent; violent; stormy; as, tempestuous weather; a tempestuous night; a tempestuous debate.
• Tempestive Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Seasonable; timely; as, tempestive showers.