• Terminal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Pertaining to a railroad terminal; connected with the receipt or delivery of freight; as, terminal charges.
- (n.) A town lying at the end of a railroad; -- more properly called a terminus.
- (n.) A rate charged on all freight, independent of the distance, and supposed to cover the expenses of station service, as distinct from mileage rate, generally proportionate to the distance and intended to cover movement expenses; a terminal charge.
- (n.) Any station for the delivery or receipt of freight lying too far from the main line to be served by mere sidings.
- (n.) The end of a line of railroad, with the switches, stations, sheds, and other appliances pertaining thereto.
- (n.) Growing at the end of a branch or stem; terminating; as, a terminal bud, flower, or spike.
- (n.) Of or pertaining to the end or extremity; forming the extremity; as, a terminal edge.
- (n.) Either of the ends of the conducting circuit of an electrical apparatus, as an inductorium, dynamo, or electric motor, usually provided with binding screws for the attachment of wires by which a current may be conveyed into or from the machine; a pole.
- (n.) That which terminates or ends; termination; extremity.
• Terminalia Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) A festival celebrated annually by the Romans on February 23 in honor of Terminus, the god of boundaries.