• Tertiary Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Being of the third formation, order, or rank; third; as, a tertiary use of a word.
- (a.) Growing on the innermost joint of a birds wing; tertial; -- said of quills.
- (a.) Later than, or subsequent to, the Secondary.
- (n.) A member of the Third Order in any monastic system; as, the Franciscan tertiaries; the Dominican tertiaries; the Carmelite tertiaries. See Third Order, under Third.
- (n.) One of the quill feathers which are borne upon the basal joint of the wing of a bird. See Illust. of Bird.
- (a.) Possessing some quality in the third degree; having been subjected to the substitution of three atoms or radicals; as, a tertiary alcohol, amine, or salt. Cf. Primary, and Secondary.
- (n.) The Tertiary era, period, or formation.