• Thin Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Not full or well grown; wanting in plumpness.
- (superl.) Rare; not dense or thick; -- applied to fluids or soft mixtures; as, thin blood; thin broth; thin air.
- (superl.) Having little thickness or extent from one surface to its opposite; as, a thin plate of metal; thin paper; a thin board; a thin covering.
- (superl.) Slight; small; slender; flimsy; wanting substance or depth or force; superficial; inadequate; not sufficient for a covering; as, a thin disguise.
- (adv.) Not thickly or closely; in a seattered state; as, seed sown thin.
- (superl.) Wanting in body or volume; small; feeble; not full.
- (superl.) Not stout; slim; slender; lean; gaunt; as, a person becomes thin by disease.
- (superl.) Not close; not crowded; not filling the space; not having the individuals of which the thing is composed in a close or compact state; hence, not abundant; as, the trees of a forest are thin; the corn or grass is thin.
- (v. t.) To make thin (in any of the senses of the adjective).
- (v. i.) To grow or become thin; -- used with some adverbs, as out, away, etc.; as, geological strata thin out, i. e., gradually diminish in thickness until they disappear.
• Thinness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality or state of being thin (in any of the senses of the word).
• Thinly Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) In a thin manner; in a loose, scattered manner; scantily; not thickly; as, ground thinly planted with trees; a country thinly inhabited.