• Thorn Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To prick, as with a thorn.
- (n.) Any shrub or small tree which bears thorns; especially, any species of the genus Crataegus, as the hawthorn, whitethorn, cockspur thorn.
- (n.) Fig.: That which pricks or annoys as a thorn; anything troublesome; trouble; care.
- (n.) The name of the Anglo-Saxon letter /, capital form /. It was used to represent both of the sounds of English th, as in thin, then. So called because it was the initial letter of thorn, a spine.
- (n.) A hard and sharp-pointed projection from a woody stem; usually, a branch so transformed; a spine.
• Thorn-headed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having a head armed with thorns or spines.
• Thorny Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Like a thorn or thorns; hence, figuratively, troublesome; vexatious; harassing; perplexing.
- (superl.) Full of thorns or spines; rough with thorns; spiny; as, a thorny wood; a thorny tree; a thorny crown.