• Thorn Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To prick, as with a thorn.
- (n.) Any shrub or small tree which bears thorns; especially, any species of the genus Crataegus, as the hawthorn, whitethorn, cockspur thorn.
- (n.) Fig.: That which pricks or annoys as a thorn; anything troublesome; trouble; care.
- (n.) The name of the Anglo-Saxon letter /, capital form /. It was used to represent both of the sounds of English th, as in thin, then. So called because it was the initial letter of thorn, a spine.
- (n.) A hard and sharp-pointed projection from a woody stem; usually, a branch so transformed; a spine.
• Thornbird Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A small South American bird (Anumbius anumbii) allied to the ovenbirds of the genus Furnarius). It builds a very large and complex nest of twigs and thorns in a bush or tree.
• Thornset Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Set with thorns.