• Thwarting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Thwart
• Thwart Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To move or go in an oblique or crosswise manner.
- (v. t.) To move across or counter to; to cross; as, an arrow thwarts the air.
- (a.) Thwartly; obliquely; transversely; athwart.
- (n.) A seat in an open boat reaching from one side to the other, or athwart the boat.
- (prep.) Across; athwart.
- (v. t.) To cross, as a purpose; to oppose; to run counter to; to contravene; hence, to frustrate or defeat.
- (a.) Situated or placed across something else; transverse; oblique.
- (a.) Fig.: Perverse; crossgrained.
- (v. i.) Hence, to be in opposition; to clash.
• Thwartingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a thwarting or obstructing manner; so as to thwart.