• Tip Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To fall on, or incline to, one side.
- (n.) A gift; a douceur; a fee.
- (n.) A light touch or blow; a tap.
- (v. t.) To bestow a gift, or douceur, upon; to give a present to; as, to tip a servant.
- (v. t.) To form a point upon; to cover the tip, top, or end of; as, to tip anything with gold or silver.
- (v. t.) To lower one end of, or to throw upon the end; to tilt; as, to tip a cask; to tip a cart.
- (n.) Rubbish thrown from a quarry.
- (n.) A thin, boarded brush made of camels hair, used by gilders in lifting gold leaf.
- (n.) The point or extremity of anything; a pointed or somewhat sharply rounded end; the end; as, the tip of the finger; the tip of a spear.
- (v. t.) To strike slightly; to tap.
- (n.) A piece of stiffened lining pasted on the inside of a hat crown.
- (n.) An end piece or part; a piece, as a cap, nozzle, ferrule, or point, applied to the extreme end of anything; as, a tip for an umbrella, a shoe, a gas burner, etc.
- (n.) A hint, or secret intimation, as to the chances in a horse race, or the like.
• Tippling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Tipple
• Tipstock Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The detachable or movable fore part of a gunstock, lying beneath the barrel or barrels, and forming a hold for the left hand.