• Tokening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Token
• Token Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) In a Jacquard loom, a colored signal to show the weaver which shuttle to use.
- (n.) Something given or shown as a symbol or guarantee of authority or right; a sign of authenticity, of power, good faith, etc.
- (n.) A piece of metal given beforehand to each person in the congregation who is permitted to partake of the Lords Supper.
- (n.) A memorial of friendship; something by which the friendship of another person is to be kept in mind; a memento; a souvenir.
- (n.) Ten and a half quires, or, commonly, 250 sheets, of paper printed on both sides; also, in some cases, the same number of sheets printed on one side, or half the number printed on both sides.
- (n.) A livid spot upon the body, indicating, or supposed to indicate, the approach of death.
- (n.) A bit of leather having a peculiar mark designating a particular miner. Each hewer sends one of these with each corf or tub he has hewn.
- (n.) A piece of metal intended for currency, and issued by a private party, usually bearing the name of the issuer, and redeemable in lawful money. Also, a coin issued by government, esp. when its use as lawful money is limited and its intrinsic value is much below its nominal value.
- (n.) Something intended or supposed to represent or indicate another thing or an event; a sign; a symbol; as, the rainbow is a token of Gods covenant established with Noah.
- (n.) To betoken.