• Toll Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To pay toll or tallage.
- (v. i.) To take toll; to raise a tax.
- (n.) A portion of grain taken by a miller as a compensation for grinding.
- (n.) The sound of a bell produced by strokes slowly and uniformly repeated.
- (v. t.) To draw; to entice; to allure. See Tole.
- (v. i.) To sound or ring, as a bell, with strokes uniformly repeated at intervals, as at funerals, or in calling assemblies, or to announce the death of a person.
- (v. t.) To collect, as a toll.
- (v. t.) To call, summon, or notify, by tolling or ringing.
- (n.) A tax paid for some liberty or privilege, particularly for the privilege of passing over a bridge or on a highway, or for that of vending goods in a fair, market, or the like.
- (v. t.) To cause to sound, as a bell, with strokes slowly and uniformly repeated; as, to toll the funeral bell.
- (n.) A liberty to buy and sell within the bounds of a manor.
- (v. t.) To strike, or to indicate by striking, as the hour; to ring a toll for; as, to toll a departed friend.
- (v. t.) To take away; to vacate; to annul.
• Tollman Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who receives or collects toll; a toll gatherer.
• Tolled Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Toll