• Tossing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A process which consists in washing ores by violent agitation in water, in order to separate the lighter or earhy particles; -- called also tozing, and treloobing, in Cornwall.
- (n.) The act of throwing upward; a rising and falling suddenly; a rolling and tumbling.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Toss
- (n.) A process for refining tin by dropping it through the air while melted.
• Toss Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To throw with the hand; especially, to throw with the palm of the hand upward, or to throw upward; as, to toss a ball.
- (v. t.) To agitate; to make restless.
- (v. t.) To cause to rise and fall; as, a ship tossed on the waves in a storm.
- (v. t.) Hence, to try; to harass.
- (v. t.) To lift or throw up with a sudden or violent motion; as, to toss the head.
- (v. i.) To roll and tumble; to be in violent commotion; to write; to fling.
- (n.) A throwing upward, or with a jerk; the act of tossing; as, the toss of a ball.
- (v. i.) To be tossed, as a fleet on the ocean.
- (v. t.) To keep in play; to tumble over; as, to spend four years in tossing the rules of grammar.
- (n.) A throwing up of the head; a particular manner of raising the head with a jerk.