• Town Definition & Synonyms
- (adv. & prep.) A township; the whole territory within certain limits, less than those of a country.
- (adv. & prep.) A farm or farmstead; also, a court or farmyard.
- (adv. & prep.) The metropolis or its inhabitants; as, in winter the gentleman lives in town; in summer, in the country.
- (adv. & prep.) Formerly: (a) An inclosure which surrounded the mere homestead or dwelling of the lord of the manor. [Obs.] (b) The whole of the land which constituted the domain. [Obs.] (c) A collection of houses inclosed by fences or walls.
- (adv. & prep.) The body of inhabitants resident in a town; as, the town voted to send two representatives to the legislature; the town voted to lay a tax for repairing the highways.
- (adv. & prep.) The court end of London;-- commonly with the.
- (adv. & prep.) Any number or collection of houses to which belongs a regular market, and which is not a city or the see of a bishop.
- (adv. & prep.) Any collection of houses larger than a village, and not incorporated as a city; also, loosely, any large, closely populated place, whether incorporated or not, in distinction from the country, or from rural communities.
• Towned Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having towns; containing many towns.
• Townward Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) Alt. of Townwards