• Train Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The aggregation of men, animals, and vehicles which accompany an army or one of its subdivisions, and transport its baggage, ammunition, supplies, and reserve materials of all kinds.
- (n.) A heavy long sleigh used in Canada for the transportation of merchandise, wood, and the like.
- (v.) A number of followers; a body of attendants; a retinue; a suite.
- (v.) That part of a gown which trails behind the wearer.
- (v. t.) To trace, as a lode or any mineral appearance, to its head.
- (v.) The after part of a gun carriage; the trail.
- (v.) The tail of a bird.
- (v. t.) To break, tame, and accustom to draw, as oxen.
- (v. i.) To prepare by exercise, diet, instruction, etc., for any physical contest; as, to train for a boat race.
- (v. t.) To lead or direct, and form to a wall or espalier; to form to a proper shape, by bending, lopping, or pruning; as, to train young trees.
- (v.) A consecution or succession of connected things; a series.
- (v. t.) To draw by persuasion, artifice, or the like; to attract by stratagem; to entice; to allure.
- (v. i.) To be drilled in military exercises; to do duty in a military company.
- (v.) A connected line of cars or carriages on a railroad.
- (v.) A roll train; as, a 12-inch train.
- (v. t.) To draw along; to trail; to drag.
- (v.) That which is drawn along in the rear of, or after, something; that which is in the hinder part or rear.
- (v.) A heavy, long sleigh used in Canada for the transportation of merchandise, wood, and the like.
- (v.) Regular method; process; course; order; as, things now in a train for settlement.
- (v. t.) To teach and form by practice; to educate; to exercise; to discipline; as, to train the militia to the manual exercise; to train soldiers to the use of arms.
- (v.) That which draws along; especially, persuasion, artifice, or enticement; allurement.
- (v.) The number of beats of a watch in any certain time.
- (v.) A line of gunpowder laid to lead fire to a charge, mine, or the like.
- (v.) Hence, something tied to a lure to entice a hawk; also, a trap for an animal; a snare.
• Train dispatcher Definition & Synonyms
- () An official who gives the orders on a railroad as to the running of trains and their right of way.