• Trumpeted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Trumpet
• Trumpet Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To sound loudly, or with a tone like a trumpet; to utter a trumplike cry.
- (n.) A funnel, or short, fiaring pipe, used as a guide or conductor, as for yarn in a knitting machine.
- (n.) A trumpeter.
- (n.) One who praises, or propagates praise, or is the instrument of propagating it.
- (n.) A wind instrument of great antiquity, much used in war and military exercises, and of great value in the orchestra. In consists of a long metallic tube, curved (once or twice) into a convenient shape, and ending in a bell. Its scale in the lower octaves is limited to the first natural harmonics; but there are modern trumpets capable, by means of valves or pistons, of producing every tone within their compass, although at the expense of the true ringing quality of tone.
- (v. t.) To publish by, or as by, sound of trumpet; to noise abroad; to proclaim; as, to trumpet good tidings.