• Tunnel Definition & Synonyms
- (n. .) The opening of a chimney for the passage of smoke; a flue; a funnel.
- (n. .) A level passage driven across the measures, or at right angles to veins which it is desired to reach; -- distinguished from the drift, or gangway, which is led along the vein when reached by the tunnel.
- (v. t.) To catch in a tunnel net.
- (n. .) A vessel with a broad mouth at one end, a pipe or tube at the other, for conveying liquor, fluids, etc., into casks, bottles, or other vessels; a funnel.
- (v. t.) To make an opening, or a passageway, through or under; as, to tunnel a mountain; to tunnel a river.
- (n. .) An artificial passage or archway for conducting canals or railroads under elevated ground, for the formation of roads under rivers or canals, and the construction of sewers, drains, and the like.
- (v. t.) To form into a tunnel, or funnel, or to form like a tunnel; as, to tunnel fibrous plants into nests.
• Tunnel stern Definition & Synonyms
- () A design of motor-boat stern, for use in shallow waters, in which the propeller is housed in a tunnel and does not extend below the greatest draft.