• Twisted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Twist
- (a.) Contorted; crooked spirally; subjected to torsion; hence, perverted.
• Twist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Act of imparting a turning or twisting motion, as to a pitched ball; also, the motion thus imparted; as, the twist of a billiard ball.
- (n.) A strong individual tendency, or bent; a marked inclination; a bias; -- often implying a peculiar or unusual tendency; as, a twist toward fanaticism.
- (v. t.) To wreathe; to wind; to encircle; to unite by intertexture of parts.
- (n.) A kind of closely twisted, strong sewing silk, used by tailors, saddlers, and the like.
- (v. t.) To contort; to writhe; to complicate; to crook spirally; to convolve.
- (v. t.) To distort, as a solid body, by turning one part relatively to another about an axis passing through both; to subject to torsion; as, to twist a shaft.
- (n.) A beverage made of brandy and gin.
- (n.) The act of twisting; a contortion; a flexure; a convolution; a bending.
- (v. i.) To be contorted; to writhe; to be distorted by torsion; to be united by winding round each other; to be or become twisted; as, some strands will twist more easily than others.
- (n.) A little twisted roll of tobacco.
- (n.) A material for gun barrels, consisting of iron and steel twisted and welded together; as, Damascus twist.
- (n.) The spiral course of the rifling of a gun barrel or a cannon.
- (v. t.) Hence, to form as if by winding one part around another; to wreathe; to make up.
- (v. t.) A twig.
- (n.) One of the threads of a warp, -- usually more tightly twisted than the filling.
- (v. t.) To form into a thread from many fine filaments; as, to twist wool or cotton.
- (v. i.) To follow a helical or spiral course; to be in the form of a helix.
- (n.) A roll of twisted dough, baked.
- (v. t.) Hence, to turn from the true form or meaning; to pervert; as, to twist a passage cited from an author.
- (v. t.) To wind into; to insinuate; -- used reflexively; as, avarice twists itself into all human concerns.
- (n.) A kind of cotton yarn, of several varieties.
- (n.) That which is formed by twisting, convoluting, or uniting parts.
- (v. t.) To unite by winding one thread, strand, or other flexible substance, round another; to form by convolution, or winding separate things round each other; as, to twist yarn or thread.
- (n.) The form given in twisting.
- (n.) A cord, thread, or anything flexible, formed by winding strands or separate things round each other.
• Twiste Definition & Synonyms
- () imp. of Twist.