• Tympanum Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A drum-shaped wheel with spirally curved partitions by which water is raised to the axis when the wheel revolves with the lower part of the circumference submerged, -- used for raising water, as for irrigation.
- (n.) One of the naked, inflatable air sacs on the neck of the prairie chicken and other species of grouse.
- (n.) The ear drum, or middle ear. Sometimes applied incorrectly to the tympanic membrane. See Ear.
- (n.) A chamber in the anterior part of the syrinx of birds.
- (n.) The space within an arch, and above a lintel or a subordinate arch, spanning the opening below the arch.
- (n.) The recessed face of a pediment within the frame made by the upper and lower cornices, being usually a triangular space or table.
• Tympanums Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Tympanum