• Vanity Definition & Synonyms
Synonyms: Amour propre
- (n.) The quality or state of being vain; want of substance to satisfy desire; emptiness; unsubstantialness; unrealness; falsity.
- (n.) An inflation of mind upon slight grounds; empty pride inspired by an overweening conceit of ones personal attainments or decorations; an excessive desire for notice or approval; pride; ostentation; conceit.
- (n.) One of the established characters in the old moralities and puppet shows. See Morality, n., 5.
- (n.) That which is vain; anything empty, visionary, unreal, or unsubstantial; fruitless desire or effort; trifling labor productive of no good; empty pleasure; vain pursuit; idle show; unsubstantial enjoyment.
• Vanity box Definition & Synonyms
- () A small box, usually jeweled or of precious metal and worn on a chain, containing a mirror, powder puff, and other small toilet articles for a woman.