• Vibrate Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To move to and fro, or from side to side, as a pendulum, an elastic rod, or a stretched string, when disturbed from its position of rest; to swing; to oscillate.
- (v. t.) To brandish; to move to and fro; to swing; as, to vibrate a sword or a staff.
- (v. i.) To produce an oscillating or quivering effect of sound; as, a whisper vibrates on the ear.
- (v. t.) To mark or measure by moving to and fro; as, a pendulum vibrating seconds.
- (v. t.) To affect with vibratory motion; to set in vibration.
- (v. i.) To pass from one state to another; to waver; to fluctuate; as, a man vibrates between two opinions.
- (v. i.) To have the constituent particles move to and fro, with alternate compression and dilation of parts, as the air, or any elastic body; to quiver.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Vibrate