• Vitriol Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) To dip in dilute sulphuric acid; to pickle.
- (n.) To vitriolize.
- (n.) A sulphate of any one of certain metals, as copper, iron, zinc, cobalt. So called on account of the glassy appearance or luster.
- (n.) Sulphuric acid; -- called also oil of vitriol. So called because first made by the distillation of green vitriol. See Sulphuric acid, under Sulphuric.
• Vitriolizable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being converted into a vitriol.
• Vitriolize Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To injure (a person) with vitriol, or sulphuric acid, as by throwing it upon the face.
- (v. t.) To convert into a vitriol; to vitriolate.