• Volunteer Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) One who enters into, or offers for, any service of his own free will.
- (v. i.) To enter into, or offer for, any service of ones own free will, without solicitation or compulsion; as, he volunteered in that undertaking.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a volunteer or volunteers; consisting of volunteers; voluntary; as, volunteer companies; volunteer advice.
- (a.) A grantee in a voluntary conveyance; one to whom a conveyance is made without valuable consideration; a party, other than a wife or child of the grantor, to whom, or for whose benefit, a voluntary conveyance is made.
- (v. t.) To offer or bestow voluntarily, or without solicitation or compulsion; as, to volunteer ones services.
- (a.) One who enters into service voluntarily, but who, when in service, is subject to discipline and regulations like other soldiers; -- opposed to conscript; specifically, a voluntary member of the organized militia of a country as distinguished from the standing army.
• Volunteering Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Volunteer
• Volunteers of America Definition & Synonyms
- () A religious and philanthropic organization, similar to the Salvation Army, founded (1896) by Commander and Mrs. Ballington Booth.