• Ward Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A division of a county.
- (n.) To fend off; to repel; to turn aside, as anything mischievous that approaches; -- usually followed by off.
- (v. i.) To act on the defensive with a weapon.
- (n.) To defend by walls, fortifications, etc.
- (n.) The state of being under guard or guardianship; confinement under guard; the condition of a child under a guardian; custody.
- (n.) To defend; to protect.
- (a.) The act of guarding; watch; guard; guardianship; specifically, a guarding during the day. See the Note under Watch, n., 1.
- (n.) A minor or person under the care of a guardian; as, a ward in chancery.
- (n.) To keep in safety; to watch; to guard; formerly, in a specific sense, to guard during the day time.
- (n.) A guarding or defensive motion or position, as in fencing; guard.
- (n.) A projecting ridge of metal in the interior of a lock, to prevent the use of any key which has not a corresponding notch for passing it.
- (n.) One who, or that which, is guarded.
- (v. i.) To be vigilant; to keep guard.
- (n.) A division of a hospital; as, a fever ward.
- (n.) A division, district, or quarter of a town or city.
- (n.) A division of a forest.
- (n.) One who, or that which, guards; garrison; defender; protector; means of guarding; defense; protection.
- (n.) A notch or slit in a key corresponding to a ridge in the lock which it fits; a ward notch.
• War Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To make war; to invade or attack a state or nation with force of arms; to carry on hostilities; to be in a state by violence.
- (a.) Ware; aware.
- (v. t.) To carry on, as a contest; to wage.
- (n.) Forces; army.
- (n.) a state of opposition or contest; an act of opposition; an inimical contest, act, or action; enmity; hostility.
- (n.) A condition of belligerency to be maintained by physical force. In this sense, levying war against the sovereign authority is treason.
- (n.) A contest between nations or states, carried on by force, whether for defence, for revenging insults and redressing wrongs, for the extension of commerce, for the acquisition of territory, for obtaining and establishing the superiority and dominion of one over the other, or for any other purpose; armed conflict of sovereign powers; declared and open hostilities.
- (n.) Instruments of war.
- (v. t.) To make war upon; to fight.
- (v. i.) To contend; to strive violently; to fight.
- (n.) The profession of arms; the art of war.
• Wardian Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Designating, or pertaining to, a kind of glass inclosure for keeping ferns, mosses, etc., or for transporting growing plants from a distance; as, a Wardian case of plants; -- so named from the inventor, Nathaniel B. Ward, an Englishman.
• Wardsmen Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Wardsman