• Washed Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Appearing as if overlaid with a thin layer of different color; -- said of the colors of certain birds and insects.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Wash
• Wash Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The upper surface of a member or material when given a slope to shed water. Hence, a structure or receptacle shaped so as to receive and carry off water, as a carriage wash in a stable.
- (n.) An alluvial cone formed by a stream at the base of a mountain.
- (v. i.) To use washes, as for the face or hair.
- (v. i.) To move with a lapping or swashing sound, or the like; to lap; splash; as, to hear the water washing.
- (n.) Gravel and other rock debris transported and deposited by running water; coarse alluvium.
- (v. t.) To cause dephosphorisation of (molten pig iron) by adding substances containing iron oxide, and sometimes manganese oxide.
- (v. t.) To pass (a gas or gaseous mixture) through or over a liquid for the purpose of purifying it, esp. by removing soluble constituents.
- (n.) The dry bed of an intermittent stream, sometimes at the bottom of a caûon; as, the Amargosa wash, Diamond wash; -- called also dry wash.
- (n.) The blade of an oar, or the thin part which enters the water.
- (n.) A thin coat of color, esp. water color.
- (v. t.) To remove by washing to take away by, or as by, the action of water; to drag or draw off as by the tide; -- often with away, off, out, etc.; as, to wash dirt from the hands.
- (v. t.) To waste or abrade by the force of water in motion; as, heavy rains wash a road or an embankment.
- (n.) A medical preparation in a liquid form for external application; a lotion.
- (v. i.) To be wasted or worn away by the action of water, as by a running or overflowing stream, or by the dashing of the sea; -- said of road, a beach, etc.
- (a.) Capable of being washed without injury; washable; as, wash goods.
- (n.) Ten strikes, or bushels, of oysters.
- (n.) Waste liquid, the refuse of food, the collection from washed dishes, etc., from a kitchen, often used as food for pigs.
- (n.) A liquid preparation for the hair; as, a hair wash.
- (a.) Washy; weak.
- (n.) Substances collected and deposited by the action of water; as, the wash of a sewer, of a river, etc.
- (n.) The flow, swash, or breaking of a body of water, as a wave; also, the sound of it.
- (v. t.) To overlay with a thin coat of metal; as, steel washed with silver.
- (n.) A liquid cosmetic for the complexion.
- (n.) The backward current or disturbed water caused by the action of oars, or of a steamers screw or paddles, etc.
- (n.) A mixture of dunder, molasses, water, and scummings, used in the West Indies for distillation.
- (n.) A liquid dentifrice.
- (v. t.) To cleanse by ablution, or dipping or rubbing in water; to apply water or other liquid to for the purpose of cleansing; to scrub with water, etc., or as with water; as, to wash the hands or body; to wash garments; to wash sheep or wool; to wash the pavement or floor; to wash the bark of trees.
- (n.) A piece of ground washed by the action of a sea or river, or sometimes covered and sometimes left dry; the shallowest part of a river, or arm of the sea; also, a bog; a marsh; a fen; as, the washes in Lincolnshire.
- (v. i.) To clean anything by rubbing or dipping it in water; to perform the business of cleansing clothes, ore, etc., in water.
- (v. t.) To cover with a thin or watery coat of color; to tint lightly and thinly.
- (n.) That with which anything is washed, or wetted, smeared, tinted, etc., upon the surface.
- (n.) The fermented wort before the spirit is extracted.
- (v. t.) To cover with water or any liquid; to wet; to fall on and moisten; hence, to overflow or dash against; as, waves wash the shore.
- (v. i.) To bear without injury the operation of being washed; as, some calicoes do not wash.
- (v. i.) To perform the act of ablution.
- (n.) The act of washing; an ablution; a cleansing, wetting, or dashing with water; hence, a quantity, as of clothes, washed at once.
- (n.) A thin coat of metal laid on anything for beauty or preservation.
, Wash drawing
• Washed sale Definition & Synonyms
- () Same as Wash sale.