• Waste Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Material derived by mechanical and chemical erosion from the land, carried by streams to the sea.
- (v.) Spoil, destruction, or injury, done to houses, woods, fences, lands, etc., by a tenant for life or for years, to the prejudice of the heir, or of him in reversion or remainder.
- (a.) To wear away by degrees; to impair gradually; to diminish by constant loss; to use up; to consume; to spend; to wear out.
- (a.) Lost for want of occupiers or use; superfluous.
- (v. i.) To be diminished; to lose bulk, substance, strength, value, or the like, gradually; to be consumed; to dwindle; to grow less.
- (a.) Lying unused; unproductive; worthless; valueless; refuse; rejected; as, waste land; waste paper.
- (a.) To bring to ruin; to devastate; to desolate; to destroy.
- (a.) To spend unnecessarily or carelessly; to employ prodigally; to expend without valuable result; to apply to useless purposes; to lavish vainly; to squander; to cause to be lost; to destroy by scattering or injury.
- (v.) That which is of no value; worthless remnants; refuse. Specifically: Remnants of cops, or other refuse resulting from the working of cotton, wool, hemp, and the like, used for wiping machinery, absorbing oil in the axle boxes of railway cars, etc.
- (v.) That which is wasted or desolate; a devastated, uncultivated, or wild country; a deserted region; an unoccupied or unemployed space; a dreary void; a desert; a wilderness.
- (v.) Old or abandoned workings, whether left as vacant space or filled with refuse.
- (a.) To damage, impair, or injure, as an estate, voluntarily, or by suffering the buildings, fences, etc., to go to decay.
- (a.) Desolate; devastated; stripped; bare; hence, dreary; dismal; gloomy; cheerless.
- (v.) The act of wasting, or the state of being wasted; a squandering; needless destruction; useless consumption or expenditure; devastation; loss without equivalent gain; gradual loss or decrease, by use, wear, or decay; as, a waste of property, time, labor, words, etc.
- (v. i.) To procure or sustain a reduction of flesh; -- said of a jockey in preparation for a race, etc.
• Wastethrift Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A spendthrift.