• Water Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To wet and calender, as cloth, so as to impart to it a lustrous appearance in wavy lines; to diversify with wavelike lines; as, to water silk. Cf. Water, n., 6.
- (n.) A solution in water of a gaseous or readily volatile substance; as, ammonia water.
- (n.) The limpidity and luster of a precious stone, especially a diamond; as, a diamond of the first water, that is, perfectly pure and transparent. Hence, of the first water, that is, of the first excellence.
- (v. t.) To wet or supply with water; to moisten; to overflow with water; to irrigate; as, to water land; to water flowers.
- (n.) Any liquid secretion, humor, or the like, resembling water; esp., the urine.
- (v. t.) An addition to the shares representing the capital of a stock company so that the aggregate par value of the shares is increased while their value for investment is diminished, or "diluted."
- (v. i.) To shed, secrete, or fill with, water or liquid matter; as, his eyes began to water.
- (v. t.) To supply with water for drink; to cause or allow to drink; as, to water cattle and horses.
- (n.) To add water to (anything), thereby extending the quantity or bulk while reducing the strength or quality; to extend; to dilute; to weaken.
- (n.) A wavy, lustrous pattern or decoration such as is imparted to linen, silk, metals, etc. See Water, v. t., 3, Damask, v. t., and Damaskeen.
- (v. i.) To get or take in water; as, the ship put into port to water.
- (n.) A body of water, standing or flowing; a lake, river, or other collection of water.
- (n.) The fluid which descends from the clouds in rain, and which forms rivers, lakes, seas, etc.
, Water supply
• Water dock Definition & Synonyms
- () A tall, coarse dock growing in wet places. The American water dock is Rumex orbiculatus, the European is R. Hydrolapathum.
• Water doctor Definition & Synonyms
- () A physician who treats diseases with water; an hydropathist.
- () One who professes to be able to divine diseases by inspection of the urine.