• Wave Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Something resembling or likened to a water wave, as in rising unusually high, in being of unusual extent, or in progressive motion; a swelling or excitement, as of feeling or energy; a tide; flood; period of intensity, usual activity, or the like; as, a wave of enthusiasm.
- (v. i.) To play loosely; to move like a wave, one way and the other; to float; to flutter; to undulate.
- (v. i.) Fig.: A swelling or excitement of thought, feeling, or energy; a tide; as, waves of enthusiasm.
- (v. i.) A vibration propagated from particle to particle through a body or elastic medium, as in the transmission of sound; an assemblage of vibrating molecules in all phases of a vibration, with no phase repeated; a wave of vibration; an undulation. See Undulation.
- (v. t.) To move like a wave, or by floating; to waft.
- (v. i.) A waving or undulating motion; a signal made with the hand, a flag, etc.
- (v. t.) To raise into inequalities of surface; to give an undulating form a surface to.
- (v. t.) See Waive.
- (v. i.) An advancing ridge or swell on the surface of a liquid, as of the sea, resulting from the oscillatory motion of the particles composing it when disturbed by any force their position of rest; an undulation.
- (v. i.) Water; a body of water.
- (v. t.) To move one way and the other; to brandish.
- (v. i.) The undulating line or streak of luster on cloth watered, or calendered, or on damask steel.
- (v. i.) To be moved to and fro as a signal.
- (v. i.) Unevenness; inequality of surface.
- (n.) Woe.
- (v. t.) To call attention to, or give a direction or command to, by a waving motion, as of the hand; to signify by waving; to beckon; to signal; to indicate.
- (v. i.) To fluctuate; to waver; to be in an unsettled state; to vacillate.
• Waver Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To be unsettled in opinion; to vacillate; to be undetermined; to fluctuate; as, to water in judgment.
- (v.) A sapling left standing in a fallen wood.
- (v. i.) To play or move to and fro; to move one way and the other; hence, to totter; to reel; to swing; to flutter.
• Waverer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who wavers; one who is unsettled in doctrine, faith, opinion, or the like.