• Welte Definition & Synonyms
- () imp. of Weld, to wield.
• Welterweight Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A weight of 28 pounds (one of 40 pounds is called a heavy welterweight) sometimes imposed in addition to weight for age, chiefly in steeplechases and hurdle races.
- (n.) A boxer or wrestler whose weight is intermediate between that of a lightweight and that of a middleweight.
• Welter Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To roll, as the body of an animal; to tumble about, especially in anything foul or defiling; to wallow.
- (a.) Of, pertaining to, or designating, the most heavily weighted race in a meeting; as, a welter race; the welter stakes.
- (n.) A rising or falling, as of waves; as, the welter of the billows; the welter of a tempest.
- (v. i.) To wither; to wilt.
- (v. i.) To rise and fall, as waves; to tumble over, as billows.
- (n.) That in which any person or thing welters, or wallows; filth; mire; slough.