• Whirl Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Anything that moves with a whirling motion.
- (v. t.) To remove or carry quickly with, or as with, a revolving motion; to snatch; to harry.
- (v. t.) A revolving hook used in twisting, as the hooked spindle of a rope machine, to which the threads to be twisted are attached.
- (v. i.) To be turned round rapidly; to move round with velocity; to revolve or rotate with great speed; to gyrate.
- (v. t.) To turn round rapidly; to cause to rotate with velocity; to make to revolve.
- (v. i.) To move hastily or swiftly.
- (v. t.) A turning with rapidity or velocity; rapid rotation or circumvolution; quick gyration; rapid or confusing motion; as, the whirl of a top; the whirl of a wheel.
- (v. t.) A whorl. See Whorl.
• Whirlwind Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A violent windstorm of limited extent, as the tornado, characterized by an inward spiral motion of the air with an upward current in the center; a vortex of air. It usually has a rapid progressive motion.
- (n.) Fig.: A body of objects sweeping violently onward.
• Whirlabout Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Something that whirls or turns about in a rapid manner; a whirligig.