• Whiting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of White
- (n.) Any one of several species of North American marine sciaenoid food fishes belonging to genus Menticirrhus, especially M. Americanus, found from Maryland to Brazil, and M. littoralis, common from Virginia to Texas; -- called also silver whiting, and surf whiting.
- (n.) Chalk prepared in an impalpable powder by pulverizing and repeated washing, used as a pigment, as an ingredient in putty, for cleaning silver, etc.
- (n.) A North American fish (Merlucius vulgaris) allied to the preceding; -- called also silver hake.
- (n.) A common European food fish (Melangus vulgaris) of the Codfish family; -- called also fittin.
• Whit Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The smallest part or particle imaginable; a bit; a jot; an iota; -- generally used in an adverbial phrase in a negative sentence.
• White Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A person with a white skin; a member of the white, or Caucasian, races of men.
- (superl.) Characterized by freedom from that which disturbs, and the like; fortunate; happy; favorable.
- (superl.) Regarded with especial favor; favorite; darling.
- (superl.) Reflecting to the eye all the rays of the spectrum combined; not tinted with any of the proper colors or their mixtures; having the color of pure snow; snowy; -- the opposite of black or dark; as, white paper; a white skin.
- (superl.) Gray, as from age; having silvery hair; hoary.
- (v. t.) To make white; to whiten; to whitewash; to bleach.
- (n.) Any one of numerous species of butterflies belonging to Pieris, and allied genera in which the color is usually white. See Cabbage butterfly, under Cabbage.
- (n.) A white pigment; as, Venice white.
- (n.) Specifically, the central part of the butt in archery, which was formerly painted white; the center of a mark at which a missile is shot.
- (superl.) Having the color of purity; free from spot or blemish, or from guilt or pollution; innocent; pure.
- (superl.) Destitute of color, as in the cheeks, or of the tinge of blood color; pale; pallid; as, white with fear.
- (n.) The color of pure snow; one of the natural colors of bodies, yet not strictly a color, but a composition of all colors; the opposite of black; whiteness. See the Note under Color, n., 1.
- (n.) Something having the color of snow; something white, or nearly so; as, the white of the eye.
, White person
• Whiting-mop Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A fair lass.
- (n.) A young whiting.