• Yoke Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A clamp or similar piece that embraces two other parts to hold or unite them in their respective or relative positions, as a strap connecting a slide valve to the valve stem, or the soft iron block or bar permanently connecting the pole pieces of an electromagnet, as in a dynamo.
- (n.) A bent crosspiece connecting two other parts.
- (v. i.) To be joined or associated; to be intimately connected; to consort closely; to mate.
- (n.) Fig.: That which connects or binds; a chain; a link; a bond connection.
- (v. t.) To enslave; to bring into bondage; to restrain; to confine.
- (n.) A frame worn on the neck of an animal, as a cow, a pig, a goose, to prevent passage through a fence.
- (v. t.) To put a yoke on; to join in or with a yoke; as, to yoke oxen, or pair of oxen.
- (n.) A band shaped to fit the shoulders or the hips, and joined to the upper full edge of the waist or the skirt.
- (n.) A crosspiece upon the head of a boats rudder. To its ends lines are attached which lead forward so that the boat can be steered from amidships.
- (n.) A mark of servitude; hence, servitude; slavery; bondage; service.
- (n.) Two animals yoked together; a couple; a pair that work together.
- (n.) A frame or piece resembling a yoke, as in use or shape.
- (n.) A bar or frame of wood by which two oxen are joined at the heads or necks for working together.
- (n.) A portion of the working day; as, to work two yokes, that is, to work both portions of the day, or morning and afternoon.
- (n.) A frame of wood fitted to a persons shoulders for carrying pails, etc., suspended on each side; as, a milkmaids yoke.
- (n.) A frame or convex piece by which a bell is hung for ringing it. See Illust. of Bell.
- (n.) A tie securing two timbers together, not used for part of a regular truss, but serving a temporary purpose, as to provide against unusual strain.
- (n.) The quantity of land plowed in a day by a yoke of oxen.
- (v. t.) To couple; to join with another.
• Yokel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A country bumpkin.