Osaka pulls out of Wimbledon but aims for Olympics

The Nation  |  Jun 19, 2021

TOKYO - Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from this month’s Wimbledon championships for personal reasons, but her agent said that world number two will be ready for the Tokyo Olympics. Japan’s Osaka quit the French Open last month following her first-round victory after organizers fined her $15,000 and threatened her with expulsion from the tournament when she refused to attend mandatory post-match press conferences. The 23-year-old, who said she has ‘social anxiety’, explained that the media’s line of questioning after matches impacted her mental well-being. “Naomi won’t be playing Wimbledon this year. She is taking some personal time with friends and family. She will be ready for the Olympics and is excited to play in front of her home fans,” Osaka’s agent told Reuters via email. Wimbledon organizers, the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), said Osaka would be ‘greatly missed’ at the Grand Slam this year. “We completely understand her decision,” the AELTC said. “We wish her a happy time with her friends and family and look forward to welcoming her back to Wimbledon next year.”

Bangladesh seeks UN intervention to end Rohingya crisis
More News