1. Slit the mushrooms lengthwise and wash well.
2. Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pot, add cloves, black and green cardamom, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, and almonds.
3. Stir for a few seconds, then add the mushrooms.
4. Add asafoetida and salt, saute for 1 minute, and then add:the rice (drained).
5. Stir gently, add 3 cups water and bring to the boil.
6. Add ginger powder. Mix the saffron in 2 tsp of hot water and crush with a spoon.
7. Add to the rice mixture, cook covered for 15 minutes.
8. When the water is almost absorbed, transfer the pot over an electric hot plate or a griddle (tawa) and cook covered on low heat till the rice is done.
9. Sprinkle garam masala before serving.