• Canes Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Canis
• Can Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A drinking cup; a vessel for holding liquids.
- () an obs. form of began, imp. & p. p. of Begin, sometimes used in old poetry. [See Gan.]
- (v. t. & i.) To know; to understand.
- (v. t. & i.) To be able to do; to have power or influence.
- (v. t. & i.) To be able; -- followed by an infinitive without to; as, I can go, but do not wish to.
- (n.) A vessel or case of tinned iron or of sheet metal, of various forms, but usually cylindrical; as, a can of tomatoes; an oil can; a milk can.
- (v. t.) To preserve by putting in sealed cans
, Can buoy
• Cane Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A walking stick; a staff; -- so called because originally made of one the species of cane.
- (n.) A lance or dart made of cane.
- (n.) A local European measure of length. See Canna.
- (n.) Stems of other plants are sometimes called canes; as, the canes of a raspberry.
- (n.) A name given to several peculiar palms, species of Calamus and Daemanorops, having very long, smooth flexible stems, commonly called rattans.
- (v. t.) To beat with a cane.
- (n.) Any plant with long, hard, elastic stems, as reeds and bamboos of many kinds; also, the sugar cane.
- (v. t.) To make or furnish with cane or rattan; as, to cane chairs.
• Canescent Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Growing white, or assuming a color approaching to white.