Action Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ActionDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A process or condition of acting or moving, as opposed to rest; the doing of something; exertion of power or force, as when one body acts on another; the effect of power exerted on one body by another; agency; activity; operation; as, the action of heat; a man of action.
- (n.) An act; a thing done; a deed; an enterprise. (pl.): Habitual deeds; hence, conduct; behavior; demeanor.
- (n.) The event or connected series of events, either real or imaginary, forming the subject of a play, poem, or other composition; the unfolding of the drama of events.
- (n.) Movement; as, the horse has a spirited action.
- (n.) Effective motion; also, mechanism; as, the breech action of a gun.
- (n.) Any one of the active processes going on in an organism; the performance of a function; as, the action of the heart, the muscles, or the gastric juice.
- (n.) Gesticulation; the external deportment of the speaker, or the suiting of his attitude, voice, gestures, and countenance, to the subject, or to the feelings.
- (n.) The attitude or position of the several parts of the body as expressive of the sentiment or passion depicted.
- (n.) A suit or process, by which a demand is made of a right in a court of justice; in a broad sense, a judicial proceeding for the enforcement or protection of a right, the redress or prevention of a wrong, or the punishment of a public offense.
- (n.) A right of action; as, the law gives an action for every claim.
- (n.) A share in the capital stock of a joint-stock company, or in the public funds; hence, in the plural, equivalent to stocks.
- (n.) An engagement between troops in war, whether on land or water; a battle; a fight; as, a general action, a partial action.
- (n.) The mechanical contrivance by means of which the impulse of the players finger is transmitted to the strings of a pianoforte or to the valve of an organ pipe.
• ActionablyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) In an actionable manner.