Advance Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• AdvanceDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To bring forward; to move towards the van or front; to make to go on.
- (v. t.) To raise; to elevate.
- (v. t.) To raise to a higher rank; to promote.
- (v. t.) To make earlier, as an event or date; to hasten.
- (v. t.) To furnish, as money or other value, before it becomes due, or in aid of an enterprise; to supply beforehand; as, a merchant advances money on a contract or on goods consigned to him.
- (v. t.) To raise to a higher point; to enhance; to raise in rate; as, to advance the price of goods.
- (v. i.) To increase or make progress in any respect; as, to advance in knowledge, in stature, in years, in price.
- (v.) The act of advancing or moving forward or upward; progress.
- (v.) An addition to the price; rise in price or value; as, an advance on the prime cost of goods.
- (v.) A furnishing of something before an equivalent is received (as money or goods), towards a capital or stock, or on loan; payment beforehand; the money or goods thus furnished; money or value supplied beforehand.
- (v. t.) To accelerate the growth or progress; to further; to forward; to help on; to aid; to heighten; as, to advance the ripening of fruit; to advance ones interests.
- (v. t.) To extol; to laud.
- (v. i.) To move or go forward; to proceed; as, he advanced to greet me.
- (v. i.) To rise in rank, office, or consequence; to be preferred or promoted.
- (v.) Improvement or progression, physically, mentally, morally, or socially; as, an advance in health, knowledge, or religion; an advance in rank or office.
- (v.) The first step towards the attainment of a result; approach made to gain favor, to form an acquaintance, to adjust a difference, etc.; an overture; a tender; an offer; -- usually in the plural.
- (a.) Before in place, or beforehand in time; -- used for advanced; as, an advance guard, or that before the main guard or body of an army; advance payment, or that made before it is due; advance proofs, advance sheets, pages of a forthcoming volume, received in advance of the time of publication.
- (v. t.) To bring to view or notice; to offer or propose; to show; as, to advance an argument.
• AdvancementDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) Settlement on a wife, or jointure.
- (v. t.) The act of advancing, or the state of being advanced; progression; improvement; furtherance; promotion to a higher place or dignity; as, the advancement of learning.
- (v. t.) An advance of money or value; payment in advance. See Advance, 5.
- (v. t.) Property given, usually by a parent to a child, in advance of a future distribution.