Bait Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BaitDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To furnish or cover with bait, as a trap or hook.
- (v. i.) Any substance, esp. food, used in catching fish, or other animals, by alluring them to a hook, snare, inclosure, or net.
- (v. i.) Anything which allures; a lure; enticement; temptation.
- (v. t.) To provoke and harass; esp., to harass or torment for sport; as, to bait a bear with dogs; to bait a bull.
- (v. i.) A portion of food or drink, as a refreshment taken on a journey; also, a stop for rest and refreshment.
- (v. i.) To stop to take a portion of food and drink for refreshment of ones self or ones beasts, on a journey.
- (v. t.) To give a portion of food and drink to, upon the road; as, to bait horses.
- (v. i.) A light or hasty luncheon.
- (v. i.) To flap the wings; to flutter as if to fly; or to hover, as a hawk when she stoops to her prey.
• BaitingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Bait
• BaiterDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One who baits; a tormentor.