Basil Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BasilDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The skin of a sheep tanned with bark.
- (n.) The slope or angle to which the cutting edge of a tool, as a plane, is ground.
- (v. t.) To grind or form the edge of to an angle.
- (n.) The name given to several aromatic herbs of the Mint family, but chiefly to the common or sweet basil (Ocymum basilicum), and the bush basil, or lesser basil (O. minimum), the leaves of which are used in cookery. The name is also given to several kinds of mountain mint (Pycnanthemum).
• BasilingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Basil
• BasilicaDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A digest of the laws of Justinian, translated from the original Latin into Greek, by order of Basil I., in the ninth century.
- (n.) A building used by the Romans as a place of public meeting, with court rooms, etc., attached.
- (n.) A church building of the earlier centuries of Christianity, the plan of which was taken from the basilica of the Romans. The name is still applied to some churches by way of honorary distinction.
- (n.) Originally, the place of a king; but afterward, an apartment provided in the houses of persons of importance, where assemblies were held for dispensing justice; and hence, any large hall used for this purpose.