Bill Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BillDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To advertise by a bill or public notice.
- (v. i.) To join bills, as doves; to caress in fondness.
- (n.) A weapon of infantry, in the 14th and 15th centuries. A common form of bill consisted of a broad, heavy, double-edged, hook-shaped blade, having a short pike at the back and another at the top, and attached to the end of a long staff.
- (n.) An account of goods sold, services rendered, or work done, with the price or charge; a statement of a creditors claim, in gross or by items; as, a grocers bill.
- (v. t.) To charge or enter in a bill; as, to bill goods.
- (n.) One who wields a bill; a billman.
- (n.) A form or draft of a law, presented to a legislature for enactment; a proposed or projected law.
- (n.) A declaration made in writing, stating some wrong the complainant has suffered from the defendant, or a fault committed by some person against a law.
- (n.) A beak, as of a bird, or sometimes of a turtle or other animal.
- (n.) A pickax, or mattock.
- (n.) The bell, or boom, of the bittern
- (v. t.) To work upon ( as to dig, hoe, hack, or chop anything) with a bill.
- (v. i.) To strike; to peck.
- (n.) A writing binding the signer or signers to pay a certain sum at a future day or on demand, with or without interest, as may be stated in the document.
- (n.) A cutting instrument, with hook-shaped point, and fitted with a handle; -- used in pruning, etc.; a billhook. When short, called a hand bill, when long, a hedge bill.
- (n.) The extremity of the arm of an anchor; the point of or beyond the fluke.
- (n.) A paper, written or printed, and posted up or given away, to advertise something, as a lecture, a play, or the sale of goods; a placard; a poster; a handbill.
- (n.) Any paper, containing a statement of particulars; as, a bill of charges or expenditures; a weekly bill of mortality; a bill of fare, etc.
- () An act or a bill conferring upon a chief executive, as a governor or mayor, large powers of appointment and removal of heads of departments or other subordinate officials.
• BillboardDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A flat surface, as of a panel or of a fence, on which bills are posted; a bulletin board.
- (n.) A piece of thick plank, armed with iron plates, and fixed on the bow or fore channels of a vessel, for the bill or fluke of the anchor to rest on.