Bitter Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BitterDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) Mournful; sad; distressing; painful; pitiable.
- (n.) Any substance that is bitter. See Bitters.
- (v. t.) Causing, or fitted to cause, pain or distress to the mind; calamitous; poignant.
- (v. t.) Characterized by sharpness, severity, or cruelty; harsh; stern; virulent; as, bitter reproach.
- (v. t.) Causing pain or smart; piercing; painful; sharp; severe; as, a bitter cold day.
- (n.) AA turn of the cable which is round the bitts.
- (v. t.) Having a peculiar, acrid, biting taste, like that of wormwood or an infusion of hops; as, a bitter medicine; bitter as aloes.
- (v. t.) To make bitter.
• BitterbumpDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) the butterbump or bittern.