Blanch Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BlanchDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To cause to turn aside or back; as, to blanch a deer.
- (a.) To whiten, as the surface of meat, by plunging into boiling water and afterwards into cold, so as to harden the surface and retain the juices.
- (a.) To bleach by excluding the light, as the stalks or leaves of plants, by earthing them up or tying them together.
- (a.) To give a white luster to (silver, before stamping, in the process of coining.).
- (a.) To cover (sheet iron) with a coating of tin.
- (a.) Fig.: To whiten; to give a favorable appearance to; to whitewash; to palliate.
- (a.) To take the color out of, and make white; to bleach; as, to blanch linen; age has blanched his hair.
- (v. i.) To use evasion.
- (a.) To make white by removing the skin of, as by scalding; as, to blanch almonds.
- (v. i.) To grow or become white; as, his cheek blanched with fear; the rose blanches in the sun.
- (v. t.) To avoid, as from fear; to evade; to leave unnoticed.
- (n.) Ore, not in masses, but mixed with other minerals.
• Blanch holdingDefinition & Meaning in English
- () A mode of tenure by the payment of a small duty in white rent (silver) or otherwise.
• Blanchard latheDefinition & Meaning in English
- () A kind of wood-turning lathe for making noncircular and irregular forms, as felloes, gun stocks, lasts, spokes, etc., after a given pattern. The pattern and work rotate on parallel spindles in the same direction with the same speed, and the work is shaped by a rapidly rotating cutter whose position is varied by the pattern acting as a cam upon a follower wheel traversing slowly along the pattern.