Bolster Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BolsterDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Anything used to prevent chafing.
- (v. t.) To support, hold up, or maintain with difficulty or unusual effort; -- often with up.
- (n.) A pad, quilt, or anything used to hinder pressure, support any part of the body, or make a bandage sit easy upon a wounded part; a compress.
- (n.) A long pillow or cushion, used to support the head of a person lying on a bed; -- generally laid under the pillows.
- (n.) The rolls forming the ends or sides of the Ionic capital.
- (n.) A block of wood on the carriage of a siege gun, upon which the breech of the gun rests when arranged for transportation.
- (n.) A cushioned or a piece part of a saddle.
- (n.) That part of a knife blade which abuts upon the end of the handle.
- (v. t.) To support with a bolster or pillow.
- (n.) A cushioned or a piece of soft wood covered with tarred canvas, placed on the trestletrees and against the mast, for the collars of the shrouds to rest on, to prevent chafing.
- (n.) The metallic end of a pocketknife handle.
- (n.) A plate of iron or a mass of wood under the end of a bridge girder, to keep the girder from resting directly on the abutment.
- (n.) the perforated plate in a punching machine on which anything rests when being punched.
- (n.) A transverse bar above the axle of a wagon, on which the bed or body rests.
- (n.) The crossbeam forming the bearing piece of the body of a railway car; the central and principal cross beam of a car truck.
- (n.) Anything arranged to act as a support, as in various forms of mechanism, etc.
• BolsteredDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Bolster
- (a.) Swelled out.
- (a.) Supported; upheld.