Carry Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CarryDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To act as a bearer; to convey anything; as, to fetch and carry.
- (v. t.) To transfer from one place (as a country, book, or column) to another; as, to carry the war from Greece into Asia; to carry an account to the ledger; to carry a number in adding figures.
- (v. t.) To bear (ones self); to behave, to conduct or demean; -- with the reflexive pronouns.
- (v. t.) To move; to convey by force; to impel; to conduct; to lead or guide.
- (n.) A tract of land, over which boats or goods are carried between two bodies of navigable water; a carrying place; a portage.
- (v. t.) To contain; to comprise; to bear the aspect of ; to show or exhibit; to imply.
- (v. i.) To hold the head; -- said of a horse; as, to carry well i. e., to hold the head high, with arching neck.
- (v. t.) To bear or uphold successfully through conflict, as a leader or principle; hence, to succeed in, as in a contest; to bring to a successful issue; to win; as, to carry an election.
- (v. t.) To convey by extension or continuance; to extend; as, to carry the chimney through the roof; to carry a road ten miles farther.
- (v. t.) To convey or transport in any manner from one place to another; to bear; -- often with away or off.
- (v. t.) To have or hold as a burden, while moving from place to place; to have upon or about ones person; to bear; as, to carry a wound; to carry an unborn child.
- (v. i.) To have earth or frost stick to the feet when running, as a hare.
- (v. t.) To bear the charges or burden of holding or having, as stocks, merchandise, etc., from one time to another; as, a merchant is carrying a large stock; a farm carries a mortgage; a broker carries stock for a customer; to carry a life insurance.
- (v. i.) To have propulsive power; to propel; as, a gun or mortar carries well.
- (v. t.) To get possession of by force; to capture.
• CarrykDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A carack.