Clam Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ClamDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) A bivalve mollusk of many kinds, especially those that are edible; as, the long clam (Mya arenaria), the quahog or round clam (Venus mercenaria), the sea clam or hen clam (Spisula solidissima), and other species of the United States. The name is said to have been given originally to the Tridacna gigas, a huge East Indian bivalve.
- (v. i.) To be moist or glutinous; to stick; to adhere.
- (v. t.) A kind of vise, usually of wood.
- (n.) A crash or clangor made by ringing all the bells of a chime at once.
- (v. t.) Strong pinchers or forceps.
- (v. t. & i.) To produce, in bell ringing, a clam or clangor; to cause to clang.
- (v. t.) To clog, as with glutinous or viscous matter.
- (n.) Claminess; moisture.
• ClamberingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Clamber