Compasses Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CompassesDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) An instrument for describing circles, measuring figures, etc., consisting of two, or (rarely) more, pointed branches, or legs, usually joined at the top by a rivet on which they move.
• CompassDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A passing round; circuit; circuitous course.
- (n.) An inclosing limit; boundary; circumference; as, within the compass of an encircling wall.
- (n.) Moderate bounds, limits of truth; moderation; due limits; -- used with within.
- (n.) Extent; reach; sweep; capacity; sphere; as, the compass of his eye; the compass of imagination.
- (n.) A circle; a continent.
- (v. t.) To curve; to bend into a circular form.
- (v. t.) To go about or entirely round; to make the circuit of.
- (n.) The range of notes, or tones, within the capacity of a voice or instrument.
- (v. t.) To reach round; to circumvent; to get within ones power; to obtain; to accomplish.
- (v. t.) To inclose on all sides; to surround; to encircle; to environ; to invest; to besiege; -- used with about, round, around, and round about.
- (n.) An instrument for determining directions upon the earths surface by means of a magnetized bar or needle turning freely upon a pivot and pointing in a northerly and southerly direction.
- (n.) An inclosed space; an area; extent.
- (v. t.) To purpose; to intend; to imagine; to plot.
- (n.) A pair of compasses.