Consist Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ConsistDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To stand firm; to be in a fixed or permanent state, as a body composed of parts in union or connection; to hold together; to be; to exist; to subsist; to be supported and maintained.
- (v. i.) To be composed or made up; -- followed by of.
- (v. i.) To have as its substance or character, or as its foundation; to be; -- followed by in.
- (v. i.) To be consistent or harmonious; to be in accordance; -- formerly used absolutely, now followed by with.
- (v. i.) To insist; -- followed by on.
• ConsistencyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A degree of firmness, density, or spissitude.
- (n.) Agreement or harmony of all parts of a complex thing among themselves, or of the same thing with itself at different times; the harmony of conduct with profession; congruity; correspondence; as, the consistency of laws, regulations, or judicial decisions; consistency of opinions; consistency of conduct or of character.
- (n.) Firmness of constitution or character; substantiality; durability; persistency.
- (n.) That which stands together as a united whole; a combination.
- (n.) The condition of standing or adhering together, or being fixed in union, as the parts of a body; existence; firmness; coherence; solidity.
• ConsistorianDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Pertaining to a Presbyterian consistory; -- a contemptuous term of 17th century controversy.