Doublets Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• DoubletsDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n. pl.) See Doublet, 6 and 7.
• DoubletDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Two of the same kind; a pair; a couple.
- (a.) A word or words unintentionally doubled or set up a second time.
- (a.) A counterfeit gem, composed of two pieces of crystal, with a color them, and thus giving the appearance of a naturally colored gem. Also, a piece of paste or glass covered by a veneer of real stone.
- (a.) A game somewhat like backgammon.
- (a.) One of two or more words in the same language derived by different courses from the same original from; as, crypt and grot are doublets; also, guard and ward; yard and garden; abridge and abbreviate, etc.
- (a.) A close-fitting garment for men, covering the body from the neck to the waist or a little below. It was worn in Western Europe from the 15th to the 17th century.
- (a.) An arrangement of two lenses for a microscope, designed to correct spherical aberration and chromatic dispersion, thus rendering the image of an object more clear and distinct.
- (a.) Two dice, each of which, when thrown, has the same number of spots on the face lying uppermost; as, to throw doublets.