Empty Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• EmptyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (superl.) Having nothing to carry; unburdened.
- (superl.) Destitute of reality, or real existence; unsubstantial; as, empty dreams.
- (v. i.) To become empty.
- (n.) An empty box, crate, cask, etc.; -- used in commerce, esp. in transportation of freight; as, "special rates for empties."
- (superl.) Free; clear; devoid; -- often with of.
- (superl.) Unable to satisfy; unsatisfactory; hollow; vain; -- said of pleasure, the world, etc.
- (superl.) Destitute of effect, sincerity, or sense; -- said of language; as, empty words, or threats.
- (superl.) Producing nothing; unfruitful; -- said of a plant or tree; as, an empty vine.
- (v. i.) To discharge itself; as, a river empties into the ocean.
- (v. t.) To deprive of the contents; to exhaust; to make void or destitute; to make vacant; to pour out; to discharge; as, to empty a vessel; to empty a well or a cistern.
- (superl.) Containing nothing; not holding or having anything within; void of contents or appropriate contents; not filled; -- said of an inclosure, as a box, room, house, etc.; as, an empty chest, room, purse, or pitcher; an empty stomach; empty shackles.
- (superl.) Destitute of, or lacking, sense, knowledge, or courtesy; as, empty brains; an empty coxcomb.
• EmptyingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Empty
- (n.) The act of making empty.
- (n.) The lees of beer, cider, etc.; yeast.