Fence Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• FenceDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Self-defense by the use of the sword; the art and practice of fencing and sword play; hence, skill in debate and repartee. See Fencing.
- (n.) An inclosure about a field or other space, or about any object; especially, an inclosing structure of wood, iron, or other material, intended to prevent intrusion from without or straying from within.
- (v. t.) To fend off danger from; to give security to; to protect; to guard.
- (n.) A projection on the bolt, which passes through the tumbler gates in locking and unlocking.
- (v. i.) To make a defense; to guard ones self of anything, as against an attack; to give protection or security, as by a fence.
- (v. i.) To practice the art of attack and defense with the sword or with the foil, esp. with the smallsword, using the point only.
- (n.) A receiver of stolen goods, or a place where they are received.
- (n.) That which fends off attack or danger; a defense; a protection; a cover; security; shield.
- (v. t.) To inclose with a fence or other protection; to secure by an inclosure.
- (v. i.) Hence, to fight or dispute in the manner of fencers, that is, by thrusting, guarding, parrying, etc.
• FencerDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) One who fences; one who teaches or practices the art of fencing with sword or foil.